Scaper's Soil is an all-natural active growing medium precisely formulated for planted tanks. The carefully selected natural materials supply all the essential minerals and trace elements that aquarium plants require each day. The naturalistic, irregularly shaped grains range from 1 to 4 mm wide and have a loose structure that allows optimum flow through the substrate. Plant roots can easily grow into it. This will help the plants grow healthy and strong. Mosses also get a boost from this in the form of thick growth and vivid green leaves. The deep black color provides an extreme, vivid contrast with the bright green of the plants.
There are three reasons why Scaper's Soil discourages undesirable algae:
1. The exceptional nutrient formula results in the minerals primarily benefiting the plants rather than the algae.
2. The nutrient buffer function: as in a battery, extra nutrients are absorbed from the water and only released to the plants as needed.
3. Just as healthy, abundant grass is the best defense against weeds in your lawn, healthy aquatic plants are the strongest opponents of algae in your aquarium.
Scaper's Soil has active ion exchange properties, causing a lower pH value. It maintains the pH at a slightly acidic level (approximately 6.0 to 6.5). It also lowers the carbonate hardness - down near 0°d KH depending on the water source - and thus makes the water remarkably softer. Plus, it provides a natural source of humic and fulvic acids, without discoloring the water. Consequently, Scaper's Soil produces water conditions that many tropical aquarium plants and fish are accustomed to in their natural habitats. For instance, most South American fish such as neon tetra, scalars, and discus favor soft water. The pH level is stabilized by the soil so that Scaper's Soil is also safe to use in junction with CO2 fertilization. The porous surface provides perfect conditions for important filtering bacteria. This means the whole substrate functions as a giant biofilter. The medium takes in many dangerous substances straight from the water at the same time.
- Nutrient growing medium for vigorous plant growth
- With all basic minerals and trace elements
- Promotes bio-filtration for healthy, sparkling water
- Actively creates soft, somewhat acidic water (about pH 6-6.5, KH 0-2 °d)
- Twice-baked for enduring water stability
- Outstanding in when matched with CO2 fertilization
- Excellent for plants, fish, and shrimp that love soft, slightly acidic water
- Appropriate for bottom filters (shrimp breeding)
- Special nutrient ratios will not promote unwanted algae